Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Any updates?

Alright. So because Rosemary and I bought a KING SIZE MATTRESS last weekend (it's okay if you're jealous. It's awesome.), I decided to make a platform bed frame for it. So I get out to Home Depot and rent a van and buy a friggin' ton of plywood. And I make the bed and it's good and I'm happy.

Since I have all this plywood in my basement, I've started making other furniture. I don't know if either of you have seen/remember Vic Papanek's books "Nomadic Furniture" 1 and 2, but they're cool books and I'm building these really basic cubes for storage and shelving in the new bedroom. Oh yeah... we had to move the bedroom to a bigger room because the new mattress wouldn't fit. So the old bedroom has become my new work room... That's where the computer, drafting table, and as of right now, a long table for making models on. It's sweet. So now I can start on our little project, finally, since I have a dedicated space. Space hasn't been the issue, actually... cleanliness has. I'll admit it.

So now I have a bedframe and like 16 boxes (all ~13,5" cubed) that all need to be sanded, filled, sanded again, and painted. Every spare second of the last 10 days have been filled with making stuff. It's awesome but it's also kinda crap, since I'm not exactly a master plywood technician. Metal is more my gig.

On the plus side, I've been buying tools like fucking crazy. In the past three weeks, I've bought a circular saw, a grinder, a jigsaw, a sander, a power screwdriver thinger, a sawhorse, a wood vice, a metal vice, clamps, a big square, vernier calipers, and a million other smaller things... In addition to all the other tools I've bought since last summer - a set of like 300 sockets and drivers, a few dozen screwdrivers (really), an incredible dremel tool kit with all sorts of stupid attachments, two more sawhorses, two sets of drill bits, a workmate bench........

Anyway, the point is that even though I have all this crap and don't work crazy hours, I've yet to even start making our little project. Silly, isn't it? But at least some other things are getting done around the house. I had no idea that I was always this busy, but it seems like I am. I need to make some time to dedicate to our project. Soon. But not this weekend, because I have a wedding to go to.

Has anybody started anything yet?

2 Comments:

Blogger Not An Artist said...

OK:

1) Hells yes I am jealous. I want a King-size bed too!

2) Holy Home Despot spending spree! I can't believe how many tools you've been buying.

3) I haven't even started either. But I was on vacation for 10 days there...

11:50 PM

 
Blogger Jenn said...

I am less jealous of the than I am about the tools. You lucky, lucky boy.

I totally haven't started either, and I have no good excuse. I've really THOUGHT a lot about it though, I swear.

Here's the bad news...I booked a last minute vacation back east and will be away from June 30 to July 6, so I'm definitely not going to be done for the end of the month. I'm sorry.

11:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home